Light switch question

Old 11-22-02, 11:43 AM
freakyfrog
Visiting Guest
Light switch question

I have another question about a light switch. My light switch is bad and I bought a new one thinking I can just pop it in but this house was built in 66 so obviously things have changed. My switch has a plug along side of it. The old switch has no ground wire. The new switch has black screw on the top left side along with a silver screw on the bottom. The right side has a silver screw at the bottom, along with the ground. THe only problem is all my wires are black. On top of that the old switch has only two screws to hook wires to. Two wires on the right side and one hooked up on the left. I have no idea what is what and where it goes. I have done these in moblie homes before but I guess a house is very different. Any help would be great. THanks

Old 11-22-02, 11:56 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You bought the wrong switch. You bought a 3-way switch and you should have bought a standard switch.

You said, "only two screws to hook wires to." But then you said, "Two wires on the right side and one hooked up on the left." Does that mean that one of the wires on the right side is connected to the "push-in" connection, and one to the screw next to it? Or do you have two wires under one screw on the right side? If neither of these, what does it mean?

Old 11-22-02, 12:02 PM
freakyfrog
Visiting Guest
way too much info

Wow that was quick thank you.
I probly gave too much detail. Ha Ha
My old switch has only two screws, one on either side.
Two wires on the right in one screw and one wire in the one on the left.

Old 11-22-02, 04:38 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You should never, ever put two wires under one screw. When you install the new switch, connect these two wires with a wire nut and run a pigtail to the switch.

Old 11-23-02, 06:27 AM
freakyfrog
Visiting Guest
Thank You!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: