added new breaker box, low voltage

Old 11-26-02, 12:24 PM
D
drewwheelan
Visiting Guest
Question added new breaker box, low voltage

I live in an old house with old wiring. I am trying to connect the barn and shop with preexisting wiring which is on it's own breaker. The wiring looks to be multiple strand copper, maybe 8 or 10 guage. I am hoping to install a small breaker box in the shop from this wire, and in fact have done so. My problem is that the voltage at the new box is only 90, pretty consistantly.
Does this mean that there are shorts somewhere, or that the run is too long on wire that is not big enough?? Or, is it just diminishing from so many different connections or something related to that.
Will I have trouble running a 1500 watt space heater with this low voltage?? Did I do anything terribly wrong?
Thanks for the help,
Drew

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-02, 12:35 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How long is the run to the barn?
Is there working power in the barn off this subpanel (i.e., do the lights come on)?
What all is running in this barn?

Measure the voltage again with absolutely everything in the barn turned off? Is it still 90? What kind of voltmeter are you using?

Old 11-29-02, 02:03 PM
D
drewwheelan
Visiting Guest
John,
The run is about 100 feet to the barn. I figured out part of the problem, in that the white wire, which I thought was neutral was carrying power, so my voltage meter on the neutral bus bar wasn't giving a correct reading. Now the problem is that this whit wire is actually carrying 240 volts. I don't know how this is possible, as when it leaves a disconnect box in the house with a 30 amp double pole breaker, it reads at 117 ish. What is going on??

Old 11-29-02, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by drewwheelan
"John,
The run is about 100 feet to the barn. I figured out part of the problem, in that the white wire, which I thought was neutral was carrying power, so my voltage meter on the neutral bus bar wasn't giving a correct reading. Now the problem is that this whit wire is actually carrying 240 volts. I don't know how this is possible, as when it leaves a disconnect box in the house with a 30 amp double pole breaker, it reads at 117 ish. What is going on??"

What is the white wire connected to at the source. Is it connected to a buss bar or to an individual breaker terminal? How many wires run to the panel in the barn and what color are they?
--
Tom