hard-wiring rope lighting?

Old 11-30-02, 08:51 AM
don rush
Visiting Guest
hard-wiring rope lighting?

In the kitchen, we installed new cabinets. My wife would like (me) to hard-wire in some rope lighting she bought. There is a power source by the sink for the old, flourescent light that was there. Here are the questions: 1. Good idea? 2. If yes, can you cut that rope lighting to size?

Old 11-30-02, 09:54 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First of all, rope light can only be cut at certain points in the rope, usually every 18", depending on who makes it. Look for a little pair of scissors printed on the rope. Instead of hard-wiring it, why not put in an outlet? Less hazard, and then you will have 2 plugs, or more, that you could use. If the source you are talking about is switched, which I would think it would be for flour. lights, then you could even put in a dimmer for the rope.

I've never actually seen a hard-wire adaptor for rope light anyway, it usually comes with an "extension cord" piece with a plug. This way you can couple the rope or terminate it with a plug.

Old 11-30-02, 12:48 PM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
The lights are probably listed only for plug in connection, so it is
inadvisable to hardwire.

Also, I beleve it is against code to put a receptical on
a dimmed line (although if it did flourescent fixtures, surely it wasn't dimmed.) A better solution than rope lighting for
illumination would be halogen strip lighting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: