Rotating Tree Stand

Old 12-01-02, 04:42 PM
C
ConstMan1969
Visiting Guest
Rotating Tree Stand

I want to construct a custom rotating Christmas tree stand for a very large (& heavy) tree. I feel I can figure out the construction and wiring involved but I desperately need help in nomenclature and sources for the materials. I want the stand to rotate and have two electrical outlets for the lights to plug into.

I will need an electric motor with a vertical shaft (3/8” to ˝” diameter) or means to transfer from a horizontal shaft to a vertical shaft. I then need a device(s) to transfer electrical voltage to the rotating stand. I assume this would be some type of “box” with flexible type leads that would ride the underside of a round copper/brass device that is capable of transferring the voltage thru wiring to the receptacles that are attached to the rotating part of the stand.
As stated earlier, I think I can make it work if I can find the parts and pieces; I just don’t know where to find them or what to ask for.
If you could help me with this I would certainly appreciate it.

Thank you very much,

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-02, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm with you as far as the rotating tree stand. I stop before you get to transfering 120V from the base to the rotating portion with a custom device. Anything electrical should be UL listed, meaning it goes through rigorous testing and scrutiny.
You can accomplish the rotating part with any number of low speed motors available from Grainger. Your mounting might be unique, but the application is somewhat included in the function of an already UL listed motor. Be sure there is no water involved (fake tree).

Old 12-02-02, 06:46 AM
R
RickJ6956
Visiting Guest
The device you're looking for is called a "commutator". It will consist of two round flat plates, similar to a Lazy Susan. Most times, the bottom plate is mounted and it contains three concentric rings of exposed copper (hot, neutral and ground). The top plate rotates. It contains three copper "brushes" which make contact with the three rings on the bottom plate to transfer the power. Most times, the brushes are doubled or tripled and each ring of brushes is connected together to ensure that at least one is always making contact with its base ring.

Your project sounds fascinating. If you get bogged down in it, you can just buy one from [ http://www.hmsmfg.com/ez_rot.asp ]

Old 12-03-02, 04:46 AM
C
ConstMan1969
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Rick,
Thanks for your help.
The "trunk" on this tree is about 2-1/4" diameter and I haven't been able to find a ready built stand that will accept that large of one. So I thought I would try to build my own. Hey it might even work; if not I'll have the satisfaction of trying.
Thanks again for your help!!!

Old 12-03-02, 05:08 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ConstMan1969
After I saw your post, I did a web search by google.com and came up with a number of sites that sell them. One site has a rotating Christmas stand that will hold a 15 foot tree with up to a 6 inch diameter trunk.

Old 12-05-02, 08:40 AM
C
ConstMan1969
Visiting Guest
Bink,
Thanks for your reply. Do you remember the source for the stand that will accept a 6" trunk? The only ones I've been able to find for that size tree are turned manually and the kind I want is electrically operated.
Thanks again!