coduit/wiring project

Old 12-05-02, 10:04 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
coduit/wiring project

most of my old victorian is on one circuit. i'm planning on re-wiring and getting it to a more standard configuration. the box is newer, and has adequate service. (110 amps)

what i want to do now, is add a new circuit, and run the front 2 rooms off this circuit. i'd like to not deal with going inside the walls, and just run conduit on the outside of the house, then cut into where the existing outlets are, which run down from the attic, and replace them with ones that run from the conduit. i'm only adding 2-3 outlets(actually just giving them a new source and a dedicated circuit)

what do i need to do to make this to code? conduit size? any other considerations? what about capping the existing line that runs from the attic through the walls, that will no longer be used?

i'm planning on doing this without permits (brother is a builder with good electrical knowledge), but i'll pull permits when i do more electrical upgrading.

thanks a lot.
Old 12-05-02, 11:50 AM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 17,733
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You have a number of choices, but I'd recommend using a sunlight-resistant electrical PVC conduit, and individual 12-gauge THWN wires (black/white/green). The minimum size of the conduit will depend on the number of wires you put in it. I don't have my book with me to give you exact numbers, but 1/2" conduit will be enough for one circuit. Once inside the attic, you can connect the wires inside a junction box in the attic to 12/2 NM-B cable.

I recommend permits for all work. It's not much trouble or expense, and it'll help ensure a good, safe job. Don't you think the inspector for your next job might notice the conduit on the outside of your house?
Old 12-06-02, 08:48 AM
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: port chester n y
Posts: 1,983
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Consider using the "2100 Wiremold" wiring method. "2100" WM is a "U"-shaped metal channel 10 ft. in lenth. The usual installation is to remove the crown-mold on top of the base-board and install the WM in it's place.After the channel is in place you wire receptacle devices that "lock" into the channel and then finish with lenths of metal strips that snaps into the base-channel between the receptacles.There are 1/2" (trade-size) "knock-outs" in the back of the channel so you can extend the wiring thru an interior partition into another room. It's best to trade with an electrical supply house that stocks the necessary fittings, and for advise.------Good Luck!!!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: