Dimmer selection

Old 12-06-02, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dimmer selection

I've seen a number of recent posts involving dimmers, and I got to thinking (watch out!).

In your OPINION (I realize this is not gospel, I just want your thoughts) what are the better and best dimmers - both in type and brand?

Dial type dimmers (that's what I call the old-school round dimmers you rotate clockwise for brighter and counter-clockwise [anti-clockwise as the Brits say] for dimmer), slide dimmers, or what?

Are there types other than those two?

With modern technology do they make dimmers that are like a 'touch screen' where you touch a pad or slide your finger up and down a pad to brighten/dim?

I have no dimmers in my house at all, and in all my remodeling and rewiring I was thinking of possibly down the road adding a couple for certain lights.

Thanks and y'all have a great weekend!

Old 12-06-02, 03:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 200 Upvotes on 160 Posts
Can't tell you the brand, but the ones I prefer look just like a regular switch. The one in for my dining room fixture even has a built in pilot light, so the switch lever glows when the switch is off.

Old 12-06-02, 03:26 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I agree with tow_guy. The switch-looking dimmers are pretty cool, especially with the added light. But to answer your question, the old round ones suck. Take a look at www.lutron.com if you want to see some of the new, really cool stuff. Of course, the best option is automation, and just lose the switches and dimmers.

Old 12-06-02, 03:58 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you adjust the light level a lot, you should choose a dimmer that makes this easy -- the round knob kind is good for that.

But if you primarily use the dimmer at one setting, something with separate level and on/off controls is good. I like the kind with a regular looking switch with a little slide control next to the lever. For the most part, I leave the dimmer at a preset level and just use it light a regular switch.

There are a bigillion kinds of dimmers. I'm sure you can find something perfect for you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: