Utility Room Wiring

Old 12-08-02, 02:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question Utility Room Wiring

The wife finally ok'ed the utility room placement plan, (it's being moved about 40 feet, to were it should have been) but now the question is running wiring to all the items such as the dryer, water heater, sump pump, furnace and the utility room curcuit. Since the current main service panel looks like a messy octupus, I was considering installing a sub panel vs. running the individual cuircuits. Comments welcome on this. and...

A couple questions.
Can the wiring from the main service to the sub-panel be NM or
should it be conduit?

Can NM be run through a conduit ( both as a single or multiple
bundle ( this is to avoid running the wire through the floor joists)?
Old 12-08-02, 02:46 PM
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Brethren, Mi
Posts: 1,564
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I think if it was mine and I could I would be tempted to use a sub. About a 8 ot 10 space panel with number 2 copper thhn. If you wanted I believe you could use a number 4 neutral and a number 8 ground wire. 100 a breaker in the main feeding it. At 40 ft you would have hardly any voltage drop and you would clear a few spaces in your main panel also.
Old 12-09-02, 10:14 AM
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: port chester n y
Posts: 1,983
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I advise installing a sub-panel. You can use Type NM cable for the feeder to the panel if the cable is not exposed to" mechanical injury". The Equiptment Grounding Conductor in the cable must terminate on a Grounding terminal bar "bonded" to the metal of the panel enclosure. The EGC's of the Branch-Circuit cables connect to the Grounding terminal bar. DO NOT Ground the Neutral terminal bar to the enclosure with a Bonding screw.----Good Luck!!!!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: