Pump

Old 12-09-02, 12:37 PM
W
wilber
Visiting Guest
Question Pump

I have a septic system with a main tank and a smaller "dosing" tank that feeds the drain field. There is a pump in the second "dosing" tank that pumps the effluent up to the field. The pump is plugged into a GFCI receptacle and has worked fine until recently it suddenly started popping the GFCI. I isolated the problem to the pump (?) and then plugged the pump into a non-GFCI recepacle, and with the use of a clamp-on ammeter watched the pump come on and off after about 5-10 minutes. (Can't be 100% sure it is pumping water though). I did put in a new GFCI receptacle and had the same results. Draws about 6A when operating.

Should a pump like this be on a GFCI?
What do you make of this?
Any thoughts would be good to read.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-02, 01:25 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I dont think it needs to be on gfci,,, as the motor is getting a little older there could be a little leakage,,,it doesnt take much to trip one.

Old 12-09-02, 01:32 PM
G
The pump is most likely tripping the GFCI do a small fault that a regular circuit breaker could not detect. This is the reason we use GFCI's to catch a problem before it gets to a dangerous state. The fact this is only a recent development indicates you should have the pump inspected and repaired as soon as possible. When a unit that never tripped the GFCI before starts doing it all of a sudden and you replace the GFCI with another one and it starts tripping it is an indication something is wrong with the unit. An amp meter will show the ampere's being drawn by the device it does not indicate ground faults.

I believe if the pump has internal Ground Falut Proctection then a GFCI is not required.

Old 12-09-02, 02:46 PM
P
I suggest you eliminate the GFI receptacle and install a dis-connect switch . Use liquid-tite flexible conduit as the wiring method between the switch and the motor. Ground the frame of the motor with a #14 Green conductor which must be bonded to the metal of the switch enclosure and the Branch-Circuit Equiptment Grounding Conductor from the circuit-breaker panel.---What is the Wiring Method from the panel to the receptacle box?; PVC conduit, metal raceway, flexible cable??----Good Luck!!!