burnt wires above water heater

Old 12-10-02, 02:50 PM
A
ahlala
Visiting Guest
burnt wires above water heater

Hello,

Water heater in recently bought house seems to be working non-properly.

1. Water was too hot. Fuses burned (20A). I turned thermostat down almost to minimum.

2. Water still quite hot. I then notice white wire above fuse box has burnt plastic casing (3 inches long turned black).

Wiring is : Main electrical box - fuse box (2 x 20A) - water tank. The wiring between fuse box and water tank is old, covered with what looks like cotton. This wire has no ground.

Where is the problem???

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-02, 11:47 AM
S
solipsist9
Visiting Guest
sounds like 2 issues. there is some problem with the h20 heater. thermostat is possibly not working properly, which would explain the inability to control the temperature. if heater is older, makes sense to replace.
also, older wire you describe should be replaced and a ground run. i'm assuming heater is in an area where running new cable or piping is easy enough without having to bust into walls. do this and get a ground there. i would run #10 wire, good for up to 30 amps. depending on water heater size, 20 amps might be barely enough to keep it going. if wires have been maxed out over time, that would explain wire getting burnt/brittle/discolored.
john