Wires in condoit?

Old 12-11-02, 06:41 AM
T
TooHuge
Visiting Guest
Wires in condoit?

I want to run all my wires that go upstairs in the same wall. 2 power, 1 sat tv, and a phone wire. Should I get some condoit to put the tv coax and phone wire, or maybe 2 diff pipes for one each for the tv and phone? I just dont want to have any noise from the power wire messing with the quality of the phone or the tv.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-02, 07:17 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
For heat reasons, it's best not to bundle power cables together. So skip the conduit. Just keep your power cables at least a foot away from your communications cables and you'll be fine. No need to separate your comm cables from each other.

Old 12-11-02, 07:40 AM
T
TooHuge
Visiting Guest
Not really sure they will be a foot away. Could I bundle my tv and phone wire into a conduit and still be safe?

Thanks

Old 12-11-02, 08:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you must, 6" between power and low-voltage (TV,phone,alarm) will probably suffice. When crossing wires, try do so at right angles only. All of this helps keep the AC from inducing noise into the low-voltage wires. If you are not running motors, flourescent lights, etc on those AC legs going upstairs, you will probably not have a problem with noise.

FYI, "noise" on a coax could be seen as lines and interference running across the screen, not necessarily audible noise. Shielded coax will also help reject noise induction.

Old 12-11-02, 10:55 AM
B
bhyman
Visiting Guest
Running everything except power in a piece of EMT conduit is a good idea if both types of wiring will be running right next each other.