kitchen lights

Old 12-17-02, 05:19 AM
N
newgy
Visiting Guest
kitchen lights

Could someone tell me if they think I'll be putting enough light in my kitchen, It is approx 200 sq ft. Ill have 7-6inch cans, two pendant over the island, and under cab lights all around.
also how many circuits do I need as a minimum, including circuits for reg appliances (fridge, gas stove, dw, microhood)?
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-02, 08:04 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
For the small-appliance load in the kitchen, which includes the fridge, you must have two 20 amp. circuits minimum.All counter-top receptacles must be GFI protected.The DW requires it's own circuit. If the rating of the M-W is 600 watts consider a 20 amp circuit for the fridge and M-W so these loads won't be on the two 20 amp small-appliances circuits. The receptacle for the gas range can be connected to a the 15 amp liting circuit.Allow 1200 watts for each15 amp liting circuit for computing the # of 15 amp circuits.-----Good Luck!!!

Old 12-17-02, 08:45 AM
N
newgy
Visiting Guest
So I could put the M Wave, fridge and stove on the same circuit without a problem? Also why does the dishwasher need its own circuit? I would think the fridge would draw more juice than the DW.
I havent looked at the puck lights for under the cabinet, do you know the rating for those ?( halogen), there will be about 12 total.
thanks alot

Old 12-17-02, 02:44 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
More is better. A dishwasher draws more current than a refrigerator (don't let size fool you). I suggest a separate circuit for the fridge, and a separate circuit for the microwave. You don't have to, but do you need to skimp?

Old 12-18-02, 06:23 AM
R
RickJ6956
Visiting Guest
We used halogen under-cabinet lighting. Three 12-volt wall warts each feed three 20-watt lamps. 20 watts of halo is plenty for that task lighting. I spaced the "pucks" 15 - 18 inches apart. The same switch also controls a single recessed can over the sink with a 50w R-20 spot bulb. 230 watts total.

We used a "Tech"-style fixture with three 50w 120-volt halos over the 6-foot bar in the basement. WAY too much wattage! I'm switching them out with 10's.

In the kitchen, we also used a central hanging fixture for ambient light (three 60-watt bulbs) and 27' of rope lighting (doubled up) above the wall cabinets to add dimension and texture. Our kitchen is roughly 10 x 10.