Do I have the proper meter socket?

Old 12-20-02, 01:38 PM
B
BuzzHazzard
Visiting Guest
Do I have the proper meter socket?

Well I purchased some of the supplies I needed today from the local electrical supplier. Now I'm not sure I bought the right meter socket.

I want to run two 200 amp panel from a 400 amp meter. I simply asked for a 400 amp meter socket. The model I purchased is called a Milbank U1129-0. No guidance in the box other than a label which states the meter is rated at 400 amps, 320 amps continous. Now I doubt I'll be running >320 amps continuos, but did I get the right product?

Also, I am planning on running copper 2/0 SEU cable from the meter to each panel (vs. 4/0 AL). I purchased the three twin lugs I need to accomplish this, but the lugs do NOT fit over the studs in the panel. What am I missing here? I can post a link to a pic if that will make it more clear.

Finally, to protect the SEU cable from physical damage, I am planning to use the grey PVC conduit from the meter to a service LB fitting and through the sill plate where it will exit the pvc to the panels. Is this the way I should proceed (panels in the basement) and if so, is 2" conduit an adequate size?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-02, 02:11 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
More tha 320 amps continuous? 320 amps used continuously means an electric bill of over $8,000.00 a month at typical rates. You must have a heck of a Christmas display!

Old 12-20-02, 03:35 PM
W
wtb3886
Visiting Guest
Greetings BuzzHazzard

What is your meter rated for that supplies power to your main breaker?

If this is for a residence most are only rated for 200 amps where I live, although it maybe different where you live.

What size is the main breaker in your electrical panel?

What ever your meter is rated at the components downstream should also match.

If you are going to run power from your main breaker then there are probably county codes that will have to be followed and these are specific to where you live. It would be wise if this is going to have to be inspected to ask before going through the expense and time to install only to have the inspector turn it down.

It would be nice to have access to a picture if at all possible.

Brother W.T. Brackett

Old 12-20-02, 04:21 PM
B
BuzzHazzard
Visiting Guest
John

I guess the sarcasm didn't come through when I said "Now I doubt I'll be running >320 amps continuous..."

Clearly, I will not. In some realms, continous mean 3+ hours. I hope I never even do that. My question dealt more with the issue of having two 200 amp panels fed through a meter that (I assume) should be rated for 400 amps, but is listed as a 320 amp meter.

Rob
Still confused...

Old 12-20-02, 04:26 PM
J
My bother- in-law just completed his house with the same maeter base you state you have. It was given to him by the power company. He had to from the meter base, into seperate disconnects, and then feed his two panels in his home. It passed inspection, and the power has been applied by the utility. It did the work on a home owners permit, and if he had any questions, he calle the inspector and had them answered. As stated before in this tread, I hope you never use all 320 amps at once!

As far as useing 2/0 copper, it would have to be in pipe all the way to the panels unless they make a copper service entrance cable.

good luck!
Keith

Old 12-20-02, 04:36 PM
B
BuzzHazzard
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply Keith.

I tried the call to the inspectors today, but out for the weekend. I plan on calling them Monday, but thought I'd try for an answer here first.

The electrical supply store I frequent sells copper 2/0 SEU cable, and that's what I plan on using.

I may just turn the meter to panel connections over to the electrician. It's one area I have not had experience with.

Old 12-20-02, 05:21 PM
I recall hearing that there is a 320A continuous rated meter and pan, that incorparates a single input for 400kcmil CU, and two 200A output circuit breakers (main disconnect switches). Ask the electric supply, as this combination unit might help clear up installation questions.

Old 12-21-02, 06:48 AM
P
Your basic problem apparantly is connecting two 200 amp tap conductors to each conection point in the meter-socket.You state that the meter-socket connection points are studs which means that lugs are set on the studs and tightened in place by a nut that threads onto the studs.The connection points should be large enough to accept a 400 amp lug.Why doesn't the 400 amp lug you intend to use not fit in place?-----Does the width of the lug exceed the the width of the space where the lug fits on the stud?-----Good Luck!!

Old 12-21-02, 07:13 AM
B
BuzzHazzard
Visiting Guest
PATTBA,

I think that's the problem. The lugs are sold separatley. Although I asked for twin lugs for 2/0 wire, it looks like the lugs are not necessarily built for a 400 amp meter. They are Ilsco AU-2/0 imprinted with a "2/0" designation. The meter studs are 3/8" but the lug holes are 1/4."

As we speak, I did an internet search for Ilsco and found that the twin lug I need is simply the next step up which has a 3/8" hole and is good for wire from 250 mcm to 6 AWG.

Thanks. Sometimes the solution is so simple, I overlook it.

Old 12-21-02, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by HandyRon
I recall hearing that there is a 320A continuous rated meter and pan, that incorparates a single input for 400kcmil CU, and two 200A output circuit breakers (main disconnect switches). Ask the electric supply, as this combination unit might help clear up installation questions.
The meter mains asseemblies you are referring to are very expensive. I just installed one for a job and it cost $1300 US. The meter can he has should be fine because the only question is does the calculation of the service demand come to more or less than 400 amperes.

The SquareeD offering of this equipment can be found here
http://ecatalog.squared.com/cgi-bin/...&Ref=CU12L400L
--
Tom

Old 12-21-02, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by BuzzHazzard
PATTBA,

Snip

As we speak, I did an internet search for Ilsco and found that the twin lug I need is simply the next step up which has a 3/8" hole and is good for wire from 250 mcm to 6 AWG.

Thanks. Sometimes the solution is so simple, I overlook it.
Stop
Buy the meter pan manufacturers lugs. They may have flanges or lips designed to hold them in a particaular position on the stud. Some that I have installed did.

Second issue is to make sure your inspectors will except the 2/0 Cu SE cable for the service entry conductor sets to the two 200 amp panels. Some will and some won't. Since neither of these sets of service entry conductors is THE main feeder to the dwelling your AHJ MAY require that you size those two conductor sets from the regular ampacity tables rather than from the table for single phase dwelling services. If they do require the heavier cable you will need 3/0 or 4/0 Cu as 250 kcmill Al is not available in SE cable.
--
Tom