Water sprayed into socket - help!

Old 12-28-02, 10:55 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Unhappy Water sprayed into socket - help!

While replacing a sink in the bathroom, a shot of water from one of the hoses sprayed directly into the wall socket. It no longer works, and directly downstairs one side of one wall is not working either. What do you do in this situation? TIA for your help.
Old 12-29-02, 06:19 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Look for a tripped Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI). The recep that was sprayed and the one downstairs indicate that they are both "downstream" from the GFCI. But the GFCI could be anywhere.
Old 12-29-02, 07:06 PM
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: welland ontario
Posts: 8,033
Received 513 Upvotes on 418 Posts
If the GFCI won't reset, it is because the recepticle is still wet. Wait for it to dry out or use a hair dryer on it.
Old 12-29-02, 09:37 PM
green jacket's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Williamsport and Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
Posts: 489
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Best yet replace the receptacle, the electronic circuit board inside may be damaged, compromising safety. investment is small if it saves a life. I never hesitate to replace GFCI's that do not reliably work. Test the recptacle at least several times a year, when you check the smoke detectors.


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: