outlet not working

Old 12-31-02, 12:42 AM
W
wggring
Visiting Guest
Unhappy outlet not working

Hi, I hope someone can help me. I was using a mixer when suddenly it stopped working. I plugged it into another outlet and it was fine. I checked the breakers and none of them had been tripped. The outlet box also has a light switch in it and a switch that operates the garbage disposal. They work fine. I bought a tester, a simple one that beeps when it is touched to a power source. It went off when it touched the light switch and garbage disposal but not when I touched the outlet. In this house I have found several outlets where either the top or bottom plug- in work but not both. Can anyone tell me what may be wrong with these outlets? Thanks, Wanda

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-02, 05:15 AM
J
Received 203 Votes on 179 Posts
Could be several things.
1. a tripped gfci somewhere. garage,basement bathroom?
2. defective/loose wire connection
3. defective recepticle
4. Bad cord on mixer that works when bent the right way

Old 12-31-02, 05:18 AM
H
hatchet
Visiting Guest
There is a link between the bottom and top side of outlets. Sometimes these are broken so the top and bottom can be separated - the use of this is for using a light switch to operate the top or bottom plug-in. What I'm thinking is that maybe these were damaged on install and over time they finally failed.
They are easy to check - turn the breaker off to the outlets and check with your tester for charge...if none - pull the outlet and look on the side. You should see a solid piece of metal from the top to the bottom on the black or line side of the outlet.

If this is not the case you need to replace the outlet. And if it is the case you probably should replace the outlet because it may be damaged internally.

Plus what was posted above.

Old 12-31-02, 07:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How are the wires connected to your recepticle? If they are 'back-stabbed', you may have a faulty connection. Back-stabbing is where 3/8" or so of insulation is stripped from the wires and the connection is made by just inserting the wire in a little hole in the back of the recepticle/switch. These are held in by friction only and often loosten up and develop poor conduction. The screw terminals are what should be used.

Last edited by thiggy; 12-31-02 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-31-02, 08:21 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If this is a kitchen counter-top receptacle it's required to be on a seperate small-appliance circuit and to be GFI protected.The GFI protection could be at another receptacle.----Good Luck!!!!

Old 12-31-02, 04:10 PM
W
wggring
Visiting Guest
Re: outlet not working

Originally posted by wggring
Hi, I hope someone can help me. I was using a mixer when suddenly it stopped working. I plugged it into another outlet and it was fine. I checked the breakers and none of them had been tripped. The outlet box also has a light switch in it and a switch that operates the garbage disposal. They work fine. I bought a tester, a simple one that beeps when it is touched to a power source. It went off when it touched the light switch and garbage disposal but not when I touched the outlet. In this house I have found several outlets where either the top or bottom plug- in work but not both. Can anyone tell me what may be wrong with these outlets? Thanks, Wanda
The frist thing I did when the outlet stopped working was check the gfi that was next to it. After reading everyone's post that suggested it was probably the gfi I decided to look again for another gfi. Sure enough hidden behind the under the cabinet microwave was another gfi and the solution to my problems. I also have back stabbed receptacles and that was the answer to my other dilemma where a few outlets throughout the house were not working properly. Thank you all so very much