Garbage Disposal wiring help

Old 01-01-03, 07:18 AM
C
CBurke
Visiting Guest
Garbage Disposal wiring help

I just replaced my kitchen counter and when my disposal was disconnected the wires were not marked. The disposal was wired to a switch under my sink. The wires that I have are:

Fron the swiitch box a black, white and a bare ground (I think)

From the disposal I have the same a black, white and bare.

How do I wire this? When I tried to do it as soon as I turned on the main power the disposal was running but then it blew the circuit. I thought it would be simple by puttng the two blacks together and the two whites together.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-03, 08:58 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You will have to varify exactly what wire you have there "I think" won't cut it in electrical. See if you can get a meter and check where the power is and what the power is on the wires. In all honesty if it is connected to a switch I should of been wired with the blacks to the switch and the whites together. Now beening you tryed that and it poped the breaker I am wondering if there is more wireing involved then you have said.
Also the connections if they are in the right position must be secure with no possibllity of the bare sections of the wires touching anything so if the wirenuts are not on properly you can get a short.

Old 01-01-03, 09:12 AM
C
CBurke
Visiting Guest
I guess I should have been more specific in the way I wired it. I put the two blacks to one screw on the switch and the two whites connected to the other screw on the switch.

Should I have put one black on each of the screws on the switch and the two whites together with a wirenut?

Old 01-01-03, 09:24 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes the two whites are wire nutted together and the blacks each go to one terminal on the switch

Old 01-02-03, 07:35 AM
R
RickJ6956
Visiting Guest
It's a good thing the switch was on when you turned on the breaker. The switch could have blown up in your hand!