3 way switch

Old 01-01-03, 11:47 AM
M
mase55
Visiting Guest
3 way switch

I have 2 hallway lights controlled by 2 switches which are not working. I checked one fixture and there is power coming in. However, there is no power detected in either switch. What is the problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-03, 02:44 PM
A
Master Electrician
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You have said there is no power in the switches. Have you determand this from a tester of some type, and if not how do you know there is no power, Check for a fuse or breaker that might be tripped, But if there was then other things might not be working as well, So if not then it sounds like the problem is else where, Describe a little more of the wiring that is in the switches, and in the fixture. You could have a bad switch, or just reading wrong about the voltage, You also might have a bad connection either at the switches or at one of the lights. Good luck.

Old 01-01-03, 02:50 PM
S
STIMPY21
Visiting Guest
If the wires are configured in what we call a switch leg there will not be 120 volts at the switch.the hot will be there, but the neutral will be going straight to the light. In this common electrical hook up the neutral (white wire) goes directly to the fixture, not the switchbox and the hot travels to and back from the switch on the black and white conductors in a single nm cable(1 white, 1 black and one bare which is the ground). there are any number of reasons why the lights won't work.
lose wire nut connections at fixture
bad switch
badbulb
open circuit on either hot (black) or white coming from panel
Improperly identified breaker and correct breaker may be bad or just turned off.
If you feel that this is beyond your capabilities please consult a qualified electrician as there are dangerous voltages present, that pose a serious hazard.
STIMPY21

Old 01-01-03, 03:04 PM
M
mase55
Visiting Guest
I used a voltage tester. I tested both switches that control the fixtures. There was no power. I pulled down the first fixture that has the power coming into it and there was power according tro the tester. I also checked the bulb sockets and there was no power.
You are right about the circuit breaker not being the problem because there are other things on this circuit.

Could it be that both switches are bad? Any advice you can offer would be most welcome.

Old 01-02-03, 05:45 AM
J
Received 203 Votes on 179 Posts
You should be able to detect power at both switches. What are you measuring between. Go from any of the wires to the ground. The white might even have power in this case.
Tell us all the wires in the switch boxes and the light and what they are connect to.