220v Circuit Sizing

Old 01-02-03, 07:28 AM
G
GasGuzz
Visiting Guest
220v Circuit Sizing

I am planning a circuit for my 220v tablesaw. I checked the spec and it draws 13amps at 220, making that a 20A minimum circuit. The new outlet is to be installed some 2ft from the panel (in the garage).
Assuming I use this outlet dedicated for the 13amp/220v tablesaw, should it be sized for 30A/10ga wiring anyway?
If I build an extension cord, should it also be 10ga (in a 10-2 plus Ground x 20ft)?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-03, 09:29 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the distance from the panel to the machine is only 25 ft. then use 20 amp conductors and 20 amp devices-----Good Luck!!!

Old 01-02-03, 06:21 PM
B
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Article 220-3(b)93) Motor Loads. Outlets for motor loads shall be computed in accordance with the requirements in Section 430-22 and 430-24 and Article 440.
It is not the same as lighting. Breakers provide short circuit protection, and can be sized larger than the wire size to allow for starting curent. The motor provides thermal overload protection and protects the wires form simple overload.

Old 01-05-03, 09:51 AM
D
DaveB.inVa
Visiting Guest
What about 430.42(C)? This eventually referes that "The rating of the attachment plug and receptacle shall determine the rating of the circuit to which the motor may be connected, as provided in Article 210".

So what is the configuration of the plug on the end of the cord?

Old 01-05-03, 05:20 PM
B
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
430-42 Is for "Motors on General-Purpose Branch Circuits". (c) further limits the circuit to a 15 amp load. If you install a 240 recep for the motor, it is not a general purpose circuit. Put in a motor circuit to avoid nuisance trips on start up.

Old 01-06-03, 08:53 AM
D
DaveB.inVa
Visiting Guest
I understand you now, I was using that article and section out of context.

Old 01-06-03, 09:09 AM
B
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
DaveB.inVa-
The motor circuits are very different animals. I have been doing them in industrial settings for years. When I did one for a 5 HP tablesaw the inspector freaked. There is very little industry where I am and he had never seen a motor circuit that was not a factory type (air handlers). I had to spend 30 minutes walking through the code and calculations with him. Lucky the block diagram at the start of 430 is there.