switch trips breaker

Old 01-04-03, 12:08 PM
R
ru4ou2
Visiting Guest
electrical

when i flip the bedroom lightswitch on it trips the breaker. i removed the ceiling fan and light and it still does it. could it be the light switch itself?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-03, 02:14 PM
A
Master Electrician
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
just a guess, but you just wired the fan and have made some changes, if so, what changes did you make ? if you flip the switch on and blow the breaker, it sounds as if you have a dead short, something is wrong in the wiring, or how you hooked up the switch, try describing the way you wired it up. maybe that willl help.
Thanks
Art

Old 01-04-03, 02:19 PM
J
It is (nearly) impossible for the switch itself to cause this. Something else is wrong. As Art says, please provide more information.

Last edited by John Nelson; 01-04-03 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-04-03, 09:03 PM
R
ru4ou2
Visiting Guest
electrical

when i flip the bedroom lightswitch on it trips the breaker. i removed the ceiling fan and light and it still does it. could it be the light switch itself?

Old 01-04-03, 09:52 PM
G
If the breaker trips only when you turn the switch on then the switch itself has to be ok other wise it would trip all the time off or on position would not matter. Has there been any electrical work done just before this started happening? Or for that matter and work on the house at all? Even hanging a picture in the room?
Sounds like you have a short this can be caused by many different things. A wire connected to the wrong place, a wire broken and touching another wire or the box or burnt off and touching something, that is why I asked what I did so I can try and send you in the right direction.

Old 01-05-03, 06:47 AM
A
Master Electrician
qoute from "ru4ou2" extracted from "pm" of aphares

tripped breaker

the br already had a ceiling fan ,but the fan quit working. bought a ceiling fan at garage sale for 10 dollars. wired it up. worked good for a couple of days then flipped the switch and breaker tripped. first i bought a new switch at walmart and replaced it. still tripped breaker. step dad said to reverse wires on switch thinking possibly could have been backwards. did that no difference. took ceiling fan and light out today. put main wires back together. same thing . flip switch to on and it trips the breaker. so i think ive eliminated the ceiling fan, but i dont know what to try next. maybe this will give you a better idea what ive done. i appreciate your response from the first ad i posted.

Old 01-05-03, 08:13 AM
J
We need to know exactly what wires are in the ceiling, what wires are coming from the fan and what you connected to what. Could still be that the fan is junk. I'm concerned by your statement, "put main wires back together." I don't know what that means.

There are a million mistakes you might have made. The more precise the information you provide, the better we can narrow it down.

Old 01-05-03, 08:56 AM
J
Received 203 Votes on 179 Posts
How old is the wireing in this house. Could be the insulation has cracked from flexing it when the fan was installed and is now shorting to the box.