Running a new circuit

Old 01-07-03, 09:49 AM
S
scharles98
Visiting Guest
Running a new circuit

I want to setup a new circuit for a GFI plug outside. This will be used to plug in 2 water tank heaters that can each draw 1500watts when the temperature gets really cold. I have a 100 amp service that only has one available slot left. What is the best way to do this project?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-03, 10:15 AM
H
hotarc
Visiting Guest
If these two heaters can each pull 1500 watts, 1 circuit won't be enough. Even a twenty amp circuit will only provide 2400 watts. You will probably need to run two circuits, each with it's own GFCI receptacle.

You may be able to install a tandem circuit breaker--a breaker that occupies only one space but provides two circuits--in your panel. Check the label inside the door, that will usually indicate what types of breakers can be installed in the various slots.

Old 01-07-03, 10:27 AM
S
scharles98
Visiting Guest
Thank you for that information... I will check the panel to see if the tandom breaker will work. Should I be using 12 guage wire? And what size tandom breaker should I be using?

Thanks again

Scott

Old 01-07-03, 11:04 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would advise 12-gauge wire, although 14 is all that is required by code. The difference in cost is almost nothing. Use a 15/15 tandem breaker (although with 12-gauge wire, you can also use a 20/20 or a 20/15).