Recessed lights

Old 01-09-03, 03:00 PM
K
KLE
Visiting Guest
Recessed lights

I just had a licensed electrician install 6 remodel recessed lights in my kitchen. One of the holes he cut was under a drain pipe from my bath above, so he smashed the top of the can and squezed it up against the drain pipe in the hole. another hole he cut was under 2 water pipes, so he pulled the water pipes apart in pushed the can up in the space. Another hole was closed to a joist so he screwed the light up to the side of the joist. He used non ic halo cans with 410 trim with 120 watt bulbs.

Is the way these were installed safe or pose any problems.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-03, 06:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
first off verify the wattage and make sure the cans are rated for that size lamps. this should be written on a sticker in the can and is readable when you remove the bulb. the smashed can is kind of distressing, as i doubt halo specs them to be installed with that modification. halo does make a shorter remodel can, and if your "electrician" used the full size cans, replacing that one with one of these would probably fix that problem. the can between the 2 pipes could cause problems down the line as the copper contacting the steel will cause electrolysis, and s-l-o-w-l-y break down thecopper pipe wall leading to leaks and a whole host of problems. id suggest putting something between the can and the pipe if at all possible. you could wrap some electrical tape around the copper, and re install the can and that should take care of that. the one screwed to the joist seems ok to me, and non i.c. is fine as long as there is no insulation touching the cans. hope this answers your questions, any others post back, good luck.
btw how did you find all these problems??? were the cans removed after the job was done?? was the job inspected?? sad to hear this guy was liscensed

Old 01-11-03, 11:00 AM
K
KLE
Visiting Guest
Fatkid66

Thanks for your reply,

The Halo H7RTH with 401 trim is rated up to 150w R40 bulb. I thought about replacing the can under the drain pipe with a shallow depth ceiling can except I would have to change the trim and size bulb and it would not match unless I changed all 10 trims in the kitchen. I will try to get the water pipes that touch the can wraped with tape. My father was watching to notice the problems and the can under the drain pipe was moved 2 inches to the side to try to miss the drain so I had a major patch job to do on my ceiling. Even as a amateur I would of drilled a small hole in the ceiling and used a hanger to check for obstructions in the bay before cutting.

I noticed you are in NJ, do you do work in Bergen County?

Thanks

Old 01-13-03, 05:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
im in union county, but with all the time i put in at work, not to mention the time working at home on the house, all my spare time goes to the wife and kids. sorry no more side work. thanks for asking tho

Old 01-13-03, 06:54 AM
B
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Carefull with the tape, the cans still get plenty hot. Without moisture present on the outside of the pipe I do not think you really have much of a corrosion problem.