need to tap 220 for 110 leg.


Old 01-11-03, 10:41 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
need to tap 220 for 110 leg.

I am wanting to tap (temporaily) a 220 line that currently feeds my well pump. I would like to connect at the toggle switch (220) and run a 110 leg to convert to a new switch/recept. combo outlet. Is this possible since the 2/12 feed to 220 switch has no spare neutral for the 110 receptical. Only two hots and a ground. Can the ground be used as the 110 neutral? (which normally your never supposed to do) But on a 220 2/12 is the ground the neutral but why is that allowed on 220 and not 110.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-03, 10:51 AM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 18,497
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The ground could thoeretically be used for the neutral, but not legally, and not without a great compromise to safety. Don't do it!

The 220 needs no neutral. The two hots serve as the return path for each other. If there was a neutral in this cable, there would be no place to connect it at the pump, because the pump has no use for it.
Old 01-11-03, 11:14 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanks, I suspected that might be the answer. I will just run a new 110 circuit and leave the 220 alone.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: