Electricity Consumtion monthly

Old 01-15-03, 01:45 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electricity Consumtion monthly

My electric bills are huge and I am not sure what is going on.

My heat and hot water are not electric.

I have 10 rooms in my house. My only large energy consumer is my dryer. I have no dishwasher. I can't think of anything else that can be causing it. I am posting my monthly energy consumtion for the past few months, can I get some feedback as to where I stand in energy consumtion(avg, above avg)? I just want to see if maybe it's the price of electrity in my area(I live in CT)

DEC 02 - 1052kWh
NOV 02 - 1049kWh
OCT 02 - 929kWh
SEP 02 - 778kWh
AUG 02 - 977kWh
JUL 02 - 953kWh
JUN 02 - 741kWh
MAY 02 - 702kWh
APR 02 - 839kWh
MAR 02 - 700kWh
FEB 02 - 807kWh
JAN 02 - 1001kWh
DEC 01 - 720kWh
NOV 01 - 699kWh

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-03, 02:50 PM
J
Received 203 Votes on 179 Posts
What price are you paying for electricity?

Old 01-15-03, 03:22 PM
G
What other charges are on your bill in some locals the supply company charges so much per KWH and then charges a delivery fee on top. Along with many miscellanious extras in it such as water and sewer so the person thinks his bill is way up but in reallity its the extras that boost it.

If you wish to lower the comsumtion then it would be a good idea to check your fridge and freezer to see they are not costing you extra, worn seals dirt (or dust) on the cooling racks on the back or under the units, can cause them to use more power to cool whats inside. The Dryer if it is an older one may not be an effiecent engery saver Also the washing machine can use a lot of power if it is one of the older ones or not in good shape.

Old 01-15-03, 03:43 PM
P
A power consumption of 1000KWHR's for one month is approximately equivelent to a "constant",continual load of 1500 watts.Do you have a "central"HVAC heating/cooling system with a gas-fired furnace? Also, check any freezers and refrigerators for "hot" compressors.----Good Luck!!!

Old 01-15-03, 04:03 PM
R
What I pay for electricity

Generation is $0.053 per kWh
Delivery is $0.064 per kWh

So total is about $0.12 per kWh

My refridgerator is about 2 years old as well as my dryer. I also forgot to mention my stove which is a smooth top electric stove/oven That is about 2 years old also.

I do not have central air. My heating is a forced hot air oil furnace.

The washing machine is older about 10-15 years old.

Does anyone have a link to a site that list what consumption numbers look like on "energy efficient" models?

I am planning on bringing home these meters from work that you plug into the outlet and then plug the device into it and it tells you the power consumtion over a period of time. We used these to calculate the energy savings of going from conventional CRT monitors to new LCD displays at work. (The energy saving factor did not justify the price of the LCD screens! But we got them anyway!)

Old 01-15-03, 04:35 PM
J
Just taking stabs in the dark, but do you have any portable space heaters? A heated waterbed? A pool or pond of any kind? A freezer in the garage or basement? Where does your dryer vent to? Has it been taking longer than usual to dry? Have you checked the vent recently to make sure it's not plugged up?

Old 01-15-03, 04:49 PM
R
No space heaters, water beds, pools, or freezers in the basement. I do have a second full size fridge upstairs that is about 12-15 years old.

My dryer vents outside, but... it has an unusually long vent duct due to it's location. It travels up one wall and across the celing about 3 feet. Could this be it? I don't know if it has been taking longer to dry. Fortunatley I don't do the laundry, one of 3 girls in the house take care of that.

Old 01-15-03, 04:58 PM
J
Can you get to where the dryer vent exhausts outside? If so, go feel the flow next time the dryer is running. Make sure you feel a strong flow of air. A dryer with a clogged vent will take a long time to get clothes dry. And it's a fire hazard too, and it shortens the life of the elements. It's a good idea to check annually. Dryer vents that go upward and/or are long are particularly subject to clogging.

Old 01-15-03, 05:31 PM
R
Thanks for the advice. Thi will be the wkd project, along with adding a hot water spigot outside. I'll post up my findings, clogged or not clogged. I have my money on clogged.

Old 01-15-03, 07:36 PM
G
Your comsumption is a little high, but I wish my bill was all your paying I have the charge for electricity and adminstration charge a delivery charge, a distribution charge and a local access fee then the tax for it all.

Old 01-15-03, 07:44 PM
R
I don't only pay generation and distribution. On my bill there is systems benefit charge,conservation and load management prgram, renewable energy investment, all per kWh of electricity.

I grouped these all together into the delivery charge per kWh that I listed. You should see my gas bill!! It makes my electricity bill look like chump change. (Damn water heater)

Old 01-16-03, 07:52 AM
T
I wouln't really consider 1000 kW that large. I routinely use 800 kw in my 1300 sq ft house, and that's only with 2 women in the house.
You really can't "loose" electricity, and it doesn't exactly leak out. My guess is that you have a lot of lights in the house, maybe a laser printer, and since you mentioned 3 women, probably a lot of hair dryer usage. Unless somebody does a lot of cooking, or uses the stove to warm up the house of course...

Old 01-16-03, 01:29 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Wow, I wish my electric usage was that LOW!

This month (32 days); 2025 kwh (63 kwh / day)
Last Month (31 days); 1684 kwh (54 kwh / day)
1 Yr Ago (32 days); 1821 kwh (57 kwh / day)

That makes this months bill 153.81, which is about average for the winter. Summer months it's in the $225 range.

I pay:
.04191 Energy charge
.02359 Fuel charge
That's .0655 / kwh
$10 "customer charge"
another $11 or so in taxes in franchise fees.

That being said, I do have 3 computers running 24/7, a stepson (with a girlfriend who's here about 20% of the time) that thinks 2-3 long showers and/or baths a day is normal, a girlfriend that stands with the door open to smoke and thinks washing and drying clothes is faster if you put twice as much in, then wonders why it takes 3 hrs for them to dry and thinks all 3 tv's must be on at the same time, so no matter which room she walks into, the show she is watching is on it.

I've got gas heat and cooking (thank god, or my bill would probably double), but electric hot water and dryer.

I'd love to go 'minimal' for a month and see what the bill would really be.. maybe I can send them on a long vacation.. heh

Old 01-16-03, 02:36 PM
R
Wow you pay $20.00 for 2X as much electricity.

My bill this month was for $125.XX For the 1000kwH

Old 01-16-03, 05:08 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I don't have 10 rooms either, I have 3 br, 2 baths.. or roughly 1100 square feet of living area, plus a 200 sq ft unattached shop.

BTW: I've got one of those kill-a-watt meters (mail order, but they sell them at radio shack as well). Very cool. It showed my PC using about 280 watts, or about 210 with the monitor off. Haven't really plugged anything else into it.