Wall switch replacement

Old 01-19-03, 09:12 AM
W
wcphills
Visiting Guest
Wall switch replacement

I replaced a wall switch that controls a light in my bathroom. The old switch had white and black wires with a bare wire not used. Based on the postings that I read in your forum, it appears that this is a "loop". As noted in the forum, I connected the black and white wires to the two posts and connected the bare wire to the green screw.

My concern is: Should one of the the wires, the black be hot with the switch off? I have a current detector and it beeps when I test the black wire with the switch off. Is this wired correctly?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-03, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Assuming you disconnected the two wires (one black and one white) from the old switch and replaced them onto the new switch then your're fine. The black wire is hot (all the time) and when you turn "On" the light switch the switch completes the voltage path to the light fixture.

Kooter

Old 01-19-03, 11:29 AM
J
Received 203 Votes on 179 Posts
Yes one wire should be hot with the switch off. When you turn the witch on this hot is connected to the other wire which delivers power to the fixture. Technically according to code the white is the one that should be hot. However if the fixture is working don't worry about changing it.