Small out bldg. with Air Compressor

Old 01-20-03, 05:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Small out bldg. with Air Compressor

I have a small outbuilding set aside from my woodworking shop, inside it I have a 1 hp air compressor. The question is, can I utilize an existing garage wall plug. Can I fabricate a plug and some 12/2 wire and plug it in at the plug receptacle and run the wire in to the small bldg., distance 6 feet, and installing additional wall plug inside the small bldg. The plug in the garage wall is a dedicated plug with only itself on the ciricuit. Or should I pull a separate wire from the panel box to the bldg.? Cost is not an issue, safety is.. thx CM

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-03, 06:29 AM
G
It scares me when someone says fabricate a plug? what exactly do you mean? If cost is not an issue then a new run is better and most likely safer. If you intend to plug something into a receptacle then you must use an approved cord romex is not approved for this and niether is any cable usually run for permenent installations. If this is to be a permenent installation then it is better to do it right in the first place.

Old 01-20-03, 06:50 AM
The fabrification method would be buy a plug ( rated at 15 amps ) and wire 12/2 to it. Pull the wire to the out building, install a metal receptacle box and use a 15 amp plug receptacle. However, I believe I will pull a 10/2 wire to the out bldg. so when I upgrade to a 220 volt compressor the line will be there.

Old 01-20-03, 07:32 AM
J
Bury 12/2 UF cable 18" underground and connect it to a GFCI receptacle in the garage. Protect the cable with conduit where above ground. For only six feet, this is a simple project.

If you want to prepare for future expansion, run 10/3 UF instead and bury it 24" deep. For now, just cap off the red wire at each end.

If you really don't want to go to all this trouble, buy an extra heavy duty (12 gauge or better) outdoor extension cord no longer than what it takes to reach. Put it away after each use.