GFI's where to use

Old 01-24-03, 07:28 AM
jjl3rd
Visiting Guest
GFI's where to use

I'm finishing a kitchen remodel and placed quite a few GFI outlets at the counter top level. No problem there. My real question is for the built in appliances dish washer, microwave, disposals and to some extent the refrigerator. Do these require a GFI? If so then what about the range? Thank for your help
John

Old 01-24-03, 07:37 AM
lestrician
Visiting Guest
Your microwave, diswasher, disposal and refridgerator do not require GFCI protection as long as they are on dedicated circuits. The requirement for GFCI receptacles in kitchens is to serve countertops. Just remember that those particular receptacles can ONLY be used for those appliances mentioned. Also, if the microwave is actually on the countertop, I would ask the electrical inspector whether they require GFCI protection or not.

Old 01-24-03, 08:52 AM
texsparky
Visiting Guest
In the kitchen,all receptacles that serve the countertop areas require GFCI protection.

Old 01-24-03, 09:07 AM
jlbos83
Visiting Guest
You don't want your fridge on a GFCI, so you want it on a dedicated circuit (best) or some other circuit. If the GFCI trips, and you don't know about it (it happens), and the fridge is on it, you can get some smelly food. If it is on a circuit with other stuff you can get some interference, although it doesn't draw a huge amount of current, it is a motor that is switching on and off.

Old 01-24-03, 10:04 AM
RickJ6956
Visiting Guest
You don't need GFCI's for all of the receps on the countertop. One GFCI will protect other receps that are downstream of it. Connect the downstream recep(s) to the "load" side of the GFCI.

Old 01-24-03, 12:30 PM
jjl3rd
Visiting Guest
Thanks a bunch. I had originally planned to not use the GFI's on the questioned areas and then once I thought about it I just couldn't explain why. So I asked. The fridge and the microwave(built in) each have a dedicated breaker. Each of the three counters have a dedicated breaker and the first outlet in each service will be a GFI. Including the GFI outlet each counter will be served by a total of 3 duplex outlets (They are small 60 inch counters). The dish washer and disposal I plan on them sharing a breaker, Lighting is on a separate breaker. Does this sound correct? Thanks again for your time
John

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: