Daisy chaining GFCIs?

Old 01-24-03, 10:32 AM
RickJ6956
Visiting Guest
Daisy chaining GFCIs?

Here I am giving advice about GFCIs in the "GFIs where to use ..." thread, and a question popped into my feeble mind ...

A home-run circuit to an exterior recep on my rear deck continues to the pool filter. Neither had a GFCI when I moved in. I put a GFCI in the deck recep and fed its "load" to another one at the pool filter location. Should I have pigtailed the first off the line and left the load side unconnected instead of daisy-chaining them?

IOW ...
(1) Line --> GFCI#1 --> Load --> GFCI#2?
- or -
(2) Line --> pigtail --> GFCI#1 ... original line continues to GFCI#2, leaving the load side of GFCI#1 unconnected?

Old 01-24-03, 10:42 AM
lestrician
Visiting Guest
If the filter receptacle is more than 10 ft. from the inside of the pool it does not require GFCI protection. If between 5 and 10 feet, it does require protection. I don't see any problem with having the GFCI protection except for possibly the GFCI tripping due to distance, but personally, I would not daisy chain GFCI's, or any other receptacles.

Old 01-24-03, 12:06 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would recomend using the second method so each GFCI is independent from the one before. If you use the 1st methind then the second GFCI is not needed as the first one will do the job for both.

Old 01-24-03, 07:23 PM
A
Master Electrician
lestrician
Could you please give code ref. I am sorry but I am not coming up with the same interpretation.

Old 01-25-03, 08:48 AM
lestrician
Visiting Guest
680.22(A)(1) there are more requirements that just a GFCI for within the 5-10 ft. range, and I also saw 680.22(A)(5) which seems to apply to general purpose receptacles and pool pump motors. It seems to me that the filter would be considered part of the circulation and sanitation system... am I wrong?

Old 01-25-03, 10:47 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If the receptacle is outside, it needs GFCI protection no matter where it is, unless it fits the narrow exception of article 210.8(A)(3).

Old 01-25-03, 02:59 PM
A
Master Electrician
I should have thrown that in.
John is correct, and it was what I was getting at.
210 would give precedent over 680.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: