Residential upgrade

Old 01-24-03, 01:21 PM
lestrician
Visiting Guest
Residential upgrade

I want to replace ALL of my wiring, and as a commercial electrician I understand the code, what I don't know is if there is a way to get to the receptacles fed near the eaves without destroying the walls. The old romex appears to be stapled within the walls, so I can't use that to pull the new romex. And I am not small enough to reach the eaves.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-03, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Get a kid a bump hat and send him into the attic. Ha. Some can be fed from underneath. At the risk of saying something you have already made a decision on, I have found its not always necessary to replace it all. Is it old enough to be a hazzard? My Fathers house was built before grounding and I just replace where it needed grounded recepts. The covering on the old wire was good and the insulation plastic so I leave it go. If you can see the top of wall plate and there are obvious holes you can use fish rods too. Sometimes you can cut a small hole in wall near ceiling to drill the plate and feed the wire. Then its only a patch.

Old 01-24-03, 08:13 PM
joefixit
Visiting Guest
One way to get at those is by removing the freezeboard on the outside and drilling the plate with a right angle drill. Or you can also use this handy method on the inside: drill a plug of drywall out with a 3" holesaw right at the top plate(s). Save the plug then change to a one and one half inch holesaw. Drill into the plates about a half inch then pop out the plugs with a screwdriver. Fish your cable thru, put on a couple of nail plates and glue your drywall plug back in. I often use a fiberfish with a hook on the end then I can grab it in the attic with another fiberfish section so I don't have to crawl into the corners.

Old 01-24-03, 08:42 PM
Ya, thats the ticket,,, thats what I meant to imply, just too lazy to write it.

Old 01-25-03, 09:57 AM
lestrician
Visiting Guest
Thanks, very helpful info. And yes, I do plan to replace every bit of the wiring due to the fact that I plan to put all commercial grade receptacles so I need to go with 12/2 instead of the 14/2 now in use. Plus the fact that I've noticed a lot of problems with the insulation.... mostly due to whomever installed it 30 years ago. Thanks again, I'll let you know how it turns out!

Old 01-26-03, 06:26 AM
You can access the top of the wall by cutting a hole in the eave. Drill, fish, pull, whatever and then close up the hole in the eave with a new eave vent.