Florescent Light

Old 04-25-02, 08:06 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Florescent Light

Hi,

I've been reading some of the posts florescent fixtures but I'm afraid that I'm just not familar enough with these fixtures to be able to troubleshoot this without my own post. I think I know what a starter can is (but I don't see one on my fixtures) but I'm not sure what a transfomrer ballast is.

I have a set of 3 flourescent fixtures recessed in my kitchen. The electricity appears to be coming into the bad one and then other 2 are tied in from it. These other 2 works just fine. This first one is the problem child. If I look at it right now I see that one of the bulbs with a very slight flicker. I know the current bulbs are good because I rotated them with the other 2 GOOD fixtures. I've been in the house for 2 years and I really don't recall this fixture ever working. The other 2 lights emit enough light to cover it. But, I want to fix it. Just not sure where to start????

Oot of curiosity I noticed that a shop bulb was in it. Can that adversely affect it?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 04-26-02, 05:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I don't think you'll generally see fixtures with starters anymore (the little cylindrical silver pieces). Better technology. Type of tube shouldn't be a factor.

Could be bad ballast in the non-working fixture, but check all the connections first. Check the incoming connections as well as the connections that go to the tube terminals. If all else fails remove the ballast (POWER OFF!). It's that big block shaped piece between the tubes (under a cover normally). Usually only has a couple of sheet metal screws holding it in. Keep track of where the wires go - make a diagram. Take ballast to nearest hardware/home center and get replacement.

Good story: On one of my overseas tours in Japan a number of years ago, we had a fixture with a bad ballast. Put trouble call into facilities maintenance who naturally employed locals. The electrician came by the office and showed us the work order, got up on a little step-ladder and proceeded to change the ballast without turning the the lights off (this was a qualified electrician and apparently knew exactly what he was doing). Not something I would recommend for sure.

Old 01-25-03, 10:58 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question

Ok, nearly a year later I finally replaced this ballast and it resolved the problem. But, this new ballast seems to buzz quite a bit. Is there any particular reason for that?
The other 2 don't seem to buzz like it does.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: