transformers england to usa

Old 01-25-03, 06:52 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
transformers england to usa

i am an immigrant to the usa with some 240v power tools and 240v rated extension cords . How can i adapt my 240v set-up to 120v conditions?
Old 01-25-03, 07:16 AM
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: welland ontario
Posts: 7,986
Received 500 Upvotes on 410 Posts
You can use 240 volts. It is available in USA. The frequency is 60hz not 50hz so they might run a bit faster. Otherwise you need a transformer with a high enough current rating to run your tools.
Old 01-25-03, 08:09 AM
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: port chester n y
Posts: 1,983
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The "standard" residential electrical service in the USA is a 3-wire, 220/110 volt 60-cycle system which means you can connect circuits for either 220 volt or 110 volt operation. As for the performance of a 240 volt 50-cycle motor operating on a 220 volt 60-cycle circuit, much depends on the type of motor. If the motor operates without brushes it's an induction motor. If it's a brush-type then it's a "universal" motor that operates on both D.C. and A.C.---Good Luck!!!
Old 01-25-03, 11:10 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
50 Hz motors will operate just fine on 60 Hz. They will run faster. The converse is NOT true. A 60 Hz motor on 50 Hz will overheat due to the iron core saturating.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: