Code requirement for sump pump's receptacle

Old 01-27-03, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Code requirement for sump pump's receptacle

Are there any electrical Code requirements for sump pump? Can I plug it to one of the normal outlets in the basement's wall (sharing it with with an entertainment center including TV, Stereo, phone, lamps, etc... on a 20 Amp circuit). Does a sump pump use a lot of electricity? Since the day I moved into this house about 10 years ago, I havent seen a drop of water in the sump pump. Does the Code require a sump pump in every basement? Why there is one in my basement and there was never a drop of water in it? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-03, 07:30 PM
There are electrical code requirements for everything electrical.

You don't want a sump pump to be on GFCI protection (you'd kind of like it to keep working when it rains). Yes, a sump pump does use a lot of electricity, which is why they are often on dedicated 20-amp circuits.

Not sure if sump pumps are specifically mentioned in the electrical code. So you probably can plug it in with your entertainment center. Whether or not you must have a sump pump is usually a local question -- call your building department.

Given your water history, I probably wouldn't worry too much about it. But having it around for that 100-year flood is a nice comfort factor. And if you happen to be watching TV when that happens, I'm sure you won't mind turning it off so your sump pump can have the power.

Old 01-28-03, 10:05 AM
You impy that this is a "finished" basement. All dwelling-unit receptacles located in un-finished basements are required,with a few "exceptions", to have GFI protection. One of the exceptions is a "single" receptacle.

Old 01-28-03, 12:20 PM
Thanks John and Pattbaa,

Yes, it was unfinished, but i am finishing it, about half done. The sump pump was pluged into a receptacle few inches from the breaker panel (about 5 feet high). I think the receptacle was made for just that purpose since the basement was unfinished. Obviously I can no longer use that receptacle because of its location. After I finished, the sump pump will just be plugged into a receptacle on the wall about 12 inches right above it. As I said previously, not a drop of water in this sump pump since the day I moved in 10 years ago. It is just there because of the Code requirement I guess. Thank you again for your reply.