bathroom light blows circut when shut off

Old 01-28-03, 01:56 PM
fanofdolly
Visiting Guest
bathroom light blows circut when shut off

Hey...im very confused. we are remodeling our bathroom (making larger) and I need to move the light switch to the other end of the room, and the light fixture to the ceiling instead of the wall. So as far as I know, I am basically moving the location of these items, but I am replacing said swith and fixtures. I need to purchase new wires as the olders ones were a bit raggedy looking and to short. Commen sence told me that the black went to black and white to white...done. When I turned the power back on, the light was already on even though the switch was set to off. I turned off the power switched the wires at the switch, turned on the power and the same thing. even worse when I flip the switch to the opposite direction it starts humming and the circut blows. I am very confused, and dont know what else to do...please help!!!

Brian

Old 01-28-03, 02:09 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
We need more information:

(1) Does the incoming unswitched power come into the switch box or into the light fixture box?

(2) Please describe all the wires in each box (how many cables, what color wires) and how they are connected to the switch and to the light fixture.

There are two most likely errors you made, but we need the answers to these questions to determine the solution in your particular case.

Old 01-28-03, 02:21 PM
fanofdolly
Visiting Guest
1) the light fixture

2) good question... the fixture as 1 white 1 black and 1 ground (green wire.

Old 01-28-03, 02:26 PM
fanofdolly
Visiting Guest
Actually the only reason there is a ground is because of the new wire I bought, otherwise there is no ground (green) wire from the existing wiring (built with the house) that I am tapping into or the light fixture...

Old 01-28-03, 02:33 PM
M
Sounds like you tied all blacks together and all whites together at the light fixture. At the switch black is on one screw of the switch, white is on the other.

To fix - leave the switch alone. At the light, unhook the wires and connect as follows:

(1) White from incoming power to white of fixture
(2) Black from incoming power to white from switch
(3) Black from switch to black of fixture

If there are more wires than these at either the light or at the switch (ignoring the ground wires) don't do anything and post back.

Old 01-28-03, 02:55 PM
fanofdolly
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I don't know who you are but I think I need you as my new best friend. IT WORKED thank you SOOOOOOO very much. This is just the start for me as far as wiring goes for my new bathroom, so I'm sure I will be back for more answers, your the best, thanks a heap

Brian

Old 01-28-03, 04:05 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It's been my experience on this forum that nothing garners undying gratitude quite like helping someone with a switch loop. Telling someone how to correctly wire a switch loop always seems like magic to someone for whom black-to-black and white-to-white has just failed.

Good job mikewu99!

Old 01-28-03, 06:24 PM
M
John:

Is it just me, or has there been an unusually bad rash of switch loop problems lately?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: