a little issue with dimming

Old 01-28-03, 07:10 PM
drewschwartz
Visiting Guest
a little issue with dimming

Hey, thanks in advance for any replies to this. Heres the deal. We have lived in this little ranch house for a little over a year now, and I have done LOTS of work to this house. I setup up a computer area in our basement, and had to add a breaker to our box. We have an 80 amp service, and the box still has a few open spaces. After I installed the breaker and the two new outlets which are serviced by this 20 amp breaker, everything works fine, but now the lights dim a little when either a fridge kicks on. I am wondering if I should have the service upgraded rom 80 to 100, or what else I should do. Thanks again.

Old 01-28-03, 07:21 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There are lots of possible reasons for dimming lights.

If the dimming is occuring only on the refrigerator circuit, then the problem is likely on that circuit. Start by tightening all the connections on that circuit.

But if the dimming is occurring on other circuits too, the problem is in the panel or before. You can tighten all the connections in the panel. But the problem may be with the power company's wires or transformer. So you should enlist the power company's help in diagnosing the problem. They have equipment that can tell if the dimming is caused by voltage drops in the supply wires.

Even if you check out all these things, some dimming may still occur. Minor dimming is annoying but not dangerous.

Good luck. If you figure it out, post back and let us know.

Old 01-29-03, 08:06 AM
drewschwartz
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I will call PSEG and find out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: