Old 02-01-03, 02:03 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question outlets

I live in an older row home built in the mid 1940's. As I worked my way through the house over the years I've replaced almost everything. I am now selling the house. As a incentive to a potential buyer I had a house inspection done. On the inspection report there was a remark about ungrounded outlets and their location. I had replaced those vintage outlets with what was available at the time. The three pronged grounded outlets. The outlets in question are wired to the origional house wiring. I don't know of any way to ground these without replacing the wire with new. Any suggestions?
Old 02-01-03, 05:21 AM
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Taylors, SC
Posts: 9,261
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I think that if you replace the three outlets with GFCI outlets, ~$7.00 each, everyone can be happy, and the wiring will be safe. Installing three pronged outlets on two wire is misleading, because the outlet is not grounded.
Old 02-01-03, 07:22 AM
HandyRon's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 1,287
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The other legal way of handling the situation, is replace only the first outlet in the circuit with a GFCI outlet, and if wired correctly, it will protect the downstream outlets. Then you go around with sticky labels indicating that the 3 prong outlets are ungrounded.
The second option, is to purchase the polarized two pronged outlets and replace the three prong. They are still available.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: