34-cent duplex?

Old 02-07-03, 05:46 AM
jslawny
Visiting Guest
34-cent duplex?

Every home center seems to offer pretty much the same choices....the 2-dollar "commercial-grade" or "premium" receptical and the 34-cent "residential" cheapy.

I hate to waste money for nothing, but 34-cents seems awefully low.

Is there a meaningful difference for residential work?

Old 02-07-03, 06:29 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The cheap outlets won't last. However good the price, it will let you down in the future. On the other hand, residential outlets don't get much use, plug in and pull out, so it may not matter. Somewhere down the road the tension will relax and you'll need to replace it. But that may be so long and so cheap that it all works out. I use them in my house, but not in my shop.

Old 02-07-03, 07:45 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Since receptacles are easy to replace in the future, there's not much harm in putting in the 34 cent ones now. If a problem develops, you can always put in a better one later.

I would only use this strategy, however, if the difference between the receptacle costs was significant to my budget. Even so, I'd probably spring for a few good receptacles where I judged them to get frequent use (e.g., where you will probably be regularly be plugging in the vacuum cleaner or hair dryer) or any receptacle likely to sustain large loads (e.g., the garbage disposal receptacle).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: