Conductor Type for freestanding oven

Old 02-08-03, 02:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Conductor Type for freestanding oven

I am trying to replace existing wiring for a free standing stove. The distance to the main panel is about 55' and the original electrician appears to have used a length of 2/0 SE cable. This was stapled to the underside of the floor joists in the crawl space. For the wattage of the oven/stove this mch larger than required which eliminates virtually all of the voltage drop to the appliance. My understanding is that type TW or SE is applicable for this application. I need aminimum of #6 Cu for this application but the home improvement stores do not carry this in SE or in TW. Are there other insulation types that could be used. Are there types of UF that would have an acceptable temperature rating that I could use? I would think that UF is moisture resistant as TW is since it is used underground. The only problem may be that UF relies on the ambient temperature characteristics of the earth to improve it's currnet carrying capacity right?
Old 02-08-03, 02:47 PM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 17,733
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
UF may be freely used above ground, exactly as if it was NM.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: