Outbuilding wiring

Old 02-15-03, 10:05 AM
hhouse
Visiting Guest
Outbuilding wiring

A few questions:

I am building a workshop 50 feet from my home's breaker box and want to wire the structure for several outlets, lights, a personal computer, an 8000 BTU window air conditioner, and a heater as yet undetermined (this is a 200 SF space). I'm planning to get a permit for all this but want to have some idea what codes dictate. My city follows the 1999 NFPA code book. My questions are 1) would it make more sense for me to run a 30A wire to a subpanel in this structure or just run two 15A circuits direct from the main panel? 2) should I have a separate ground for this structure given the distance to the main panel? 3) will codes require that I have the A/C and heat on separate circuits even though neither will operate at the same time.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-15-03, 10:18 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There are several options and you need to study just a bit here first. You can use a panel, which needs a ground rod (which is what I probably would do) 6 space sqD main lug fed with number 2 alum or number 4 copper with 60A breaker, 4 wire. Or as a very practical option you could run a 20A multiwire circuit (lowest cost for most power, but limited). But,,, take a look here and you see some options, then come back for tips. http://www.homewiringandmore.com/hom...detgarage.html This site has most of the options.

Old 02-16-03, 12:42 PM
hhouse
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info. That is a great website and doc. One more question that I don't think I saw in the document. As far as getting the feed out from my house, I read about doing a tap from the meter to the outbuilding, but could I just run my 30A feed out of the house panel 30A breaker instead?

Thanks again.

John

Old 02-16-03, 01:26 PM
whitey2
Visiting Guest
as sberry27 said you have limitation with only a 20 or 30A circuit. Careful, I believe if you are installing more than one branch for lighting etc. as you say, you must treat this as a separate building, which means a panel with a main disconnect and ground rods, similar to your house. In almost all situations it is illegal to tap the meter, remember that these condutors would have no protection except from the supplying utility, and they typically only protect at the transformer primary. You should have the AC and heat on different circuits but you dont have to calculate the total load on the feeder with both, only the higher of the two. If your spending the money on a new building dont cut corners on the electric. Run the 50 or 60 amp 4 wire (2 hots, neutral, ground) to the building. Dont forget your permit if your need one in your locality.

Old 02-16-03, 01:43 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
With the application being a workshop, you would be better running a larger 60-100A cirucit to a panel. Any motorized tool will collapse the voltage of a single 15-20A branch circuit, sized close to the load size, resulting in lights dimming and other annoying things.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: