Turning old chandelier into "plug-in"

Old 02-16-03, 10:02 PM
spankgo
Visiting Guest
Turning old chandelier into "plug-in"

I have an old, 8 bulb chandelier I want to put in an area that does not have wiring to ceiling mount it. SO, I was wondering if I could just buy a swag light kit, and make the chandelier a "plug-in"? would this work? or would it be too much wattage for my wall outlet? thanks you for your info!!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-03, 06:34 AM
In general, you may not convert a fixture designed to be hard-wired into a plug-in fixture, and vice versa.

Old 02-17-03, 04:44 PM
spankgo
Visiting Guest
I did it.......

Hi john, I got your message too late. I bought a "plug in" swag light kit and hooked it up to the chandelier. I only screwed in one 25 watt bulb out of the 10, and plugged it in. It worked great! But then I read your response and decieded to wait to screw in all 10 bulbs and plug it in. what do you think would happen? I really want this chandelier to work out as a "plug in", but i do want to be smart about the whole thing, so any and all info about what could happen is appreciated. is it at all possible? thanks!

Old 02-17-03, 10:03 PM
It'll probably be fine. The issue is that when you change the design of a fixture, then all the testing that was done in invalidated. I can't point to anything specific that might go wrong, but there might be some hidden hazard.

Old 02-18-03, 05:16 AM
RickJ6956
Visiting Guest
10 x 25 = 250 watts. (Is it 8 bulbs or 10?) Either way, it's not a major draw for most household circuits -- depending on what else is plugged in on that circuit.

My concerns would be to make sure the wire splice is done inside the fixture -- replacing the original "main" wiring if possible -- and to remove the ceiling cover altogether. Fasten the swag chain directly to the fixture.

Can you post a pic of the fixture?