Ceiling Fan Light cord won't turn on light

Old 02-17-03, 08:57 PM
snowdancer
Visiting Guest
Ceiling Fan Light cord won't turn on light

I have a 52" ceiling fan in my dining room and when I pulled the chain to switch on the light it came down but wouldn't go back up to switch the light on. It's like it is sitting half way through the switching process.
Is this something I can fix or is this one of those things that signals it's time to replace the whole fan/light unit? Thanks for any suggestions!!

Old 02-17-03, 09:08 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
your call, but

It is your call, but I would jiggle the cord for a while first, then if that didn't work, just replace the switch with a similar one. These switches are fairly cheap and you should be able to order it from any number of places.

Old 02-17-03, 09:10 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You can fix it. You'll have to remove the switch and take it to the store. There are a zillion different kinds so you need to take yours in to match. Be sure to make careful record of how the old switch is connected before you disconnect it. If you come back tomorrow and give us four wire colors and ask what should be connected to what, I must tell you that we have a terrible track record with that question.

Old 02-17-03, 09:19 PM
snowdancer
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys, I am here alone since my husband is out of town on business and I didn't want to wait for him to return before I got light again.

The chain is just hanging down-it doesn't jiggle-just hangs there.
I will take it apart in the morning when there's light outside to help me see. I'm also turning off the main breaker before I start and marking the wires as suggested. I'll check in & let you know how I did.
Kathy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: