Old 02-28-03, 05:30 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

I create art lamps/shades and want to make them a safe as possible before selling them. I read in a book that "you can measure the surface tempearture by taping thermocouples to the inside of the shade. Turn the lamp on, and once the temperature has stabilized, record the tempereature with a digital thermometer." But I am having trouble finding the appropriate type of thermocouples (the book gives no supplier name). When I search on the web, I only find the large ones used in radiators etc. Does anyone have a source where I can purchase these? Thank you very much
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-03, 06:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thermocouples operate on the principle that when two dissimilar metals are connected together, a voltage is generated that is proportional to the temperature of the junction. This voltage is very small-typically on the order of microvolts. Different types of metals produce different temp vs voltage responses. They are designated by different letters-types J and K being most common
Thermocouples require some sort of electronic interface to reveal a temperature reading.
There are many examples of industrial temperature measurement tools, ranging in price from a few tens to a few thousand dollars. A non contact infrared thermometer might be best for you. Since you don't need to know the exact temperature but whether it's above a safe limit, this would allow you to take many measurements without the hassle of repeatedly moving the TC, making sure it had good contact with the fixture, letting it stabilize, etc.
Transcat is a large distributor of this type of equipment. Omega engineering is another.
I saw a basic IR thermometer good to 260 C for $79 in the Transcat catalog.
I'm sure there are cheaper ones available.
Old 02-28-03, 11:12 AM
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: welland ontario
Posts: 7,391
Received 203 Votes on 179 Posts
If you are using a digital meter go the manufacture's site. They will a temperature probe as a optional attachment.
Old 02-28-03, 11:41 AM
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Brethren, Mi
Posts: 1,648
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I might be up for getting one of the infared thingys,, it seems it would be handy and great for checking welding lead connectors also. Probably great for panel connections too.
Old 02-28-03, 07:15 PM
P Michael
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

If I could point out the obvious...
The book said "digital thermometer". Depending on what exact temperature range you are looking to measure, a dime store thing ought to work. My local supermarket sells a Good Cook brand digital for $11. You don't need to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: