How to run wire to ground rod and why two rods?

Old 02-28-03, 08:16 AM
dragula07
Visiting Guest
How to run wire to ground rod and why two rods?

Hello,
I already have my power installed to my new garage to a subpanel. I have read on this site that it needs two ground rods? I'm curious as to why that is when my main power panel to the house only has one?
Also, how should I route the ground wire down to the rod? I have an LB with 1 1/4" conduit that houses the power into the garage. I have several options in mind below:

1.) Should I come out of the panel and drill a hole through the wall and run the wire down to the rod and then silicone around the wire where I pierced the wall?
2.) Come out of the panel into the existing LB with my power feed, drill a hole in the bottom of the LB and run the wire down to the rod? I think this would be easier to seal since it would be on the underside and I wouldn't have to drill my vinyl siding which would be a hassle to seal.
3.) Install a new small LB and conduit next to the existing power feed conduit, extend this down to the ground and place the ground wire in this over to the rod?

Any other suggestions? Or do any of these options appear to be code violations?

Thanks!
Drag

Old 02-28-03, 08:39 AM
lestrician
Visiting Guest
Do not drill a hole in the LB with your other power... the other two suggestions you gave should be fine. The reason for having 2 ground rods is due to resistance. Often times one ground rod is not enough. You need 25 ohms or less of resistance, and sometimes it takes 2 or even more ground rods to get that. It basically depends on your soil.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: