IC Hi-Hats and attic insulation....

Old 03-03-03, 08:55 AM
D
DIY124
Visiting Guest
Exclamation IC Hi-Hats and attic insulation....

Just installed hi-hats recently in my attic. I used IC cans, understanding that these can be used with insulation - but, what are the rules with this? The guys at the big 'orange' give me confilicting answers. Is it a three inch space from the can and nothing above, can I insulate over the cans? I have not hooked up the power yet.

Thanks!
Gary

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-03, 10:01 AM
A
Master Electrician
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The conflicting opinions is coming from type IC, And type Non-IC.

If the can is Type IC then you can insulate around, and on top, If it is Non-IC then 3" have to be maintained.

NEC 410.66 2002

Old 03-03-03, 11:15 AM
D
DIY124
Visiting Guest
Question IC cans and insulation continued...

This means that I can butt up the insulation to and over the can, or just over the can?

Old 03-03-03, 12:43 PM
J
JRRR.
Visiting Guest
Fellow frustrated novice here. IC can lights can be insulated up to and over them. Remember to use unfaced fiberglass insulation when doing so. I believe the paper on kraft faced batts is extremely flammable. I installed IC cans in my daughters room when I redid it. I used unfaced fiberglass up to and around these lamps. I did not opt to insulate over them just in case. Most can light have a thermal breaker in them that will discontinue lamp operation if it becomes to hot.

Old 03-03-03, 12:55 PM
A
Master Electrician
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
"To and Over" the can is ok.

Something I want to point out is "some" not all of these great hardware stores we have can miss-lead you to believe that you have bought an IC can.

The noticeable difference you will see is in the "can" itself. Not only a “Tag” will identify the can but,
An "IC can” will not have vented holes in the can itself. "Sometimes nothing bigger then a few ¼” holes". Type Non-IC "cans" do have vent holes, and this is how more heat gets to the insulation in the attic or anything surrounding the can.

Old 03-03-03, 01:41 PM
T
texsparky
Visiting Guest
Post FYI

FYI-- The IC stands for in-contact,meaning that it is OK for the insulation to be in direct contact with the cans.

Old 03-04-03, 05:54 AM
D
DIY124
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys -- this was a great help.