outlet too far INTO wall

Old 03-04-03, 05:28 AM
C
chadt
Visiting Guest
outlet too far INTO wall

I am about finished remodeling my bathroom. I noticed after I put up the greenboard that the outlet cover cannot attach to the outlet. And that the outlet is too far back to be even with the wall. Is there an easy way to fix this? It seems I installed the box too far back in the wall....

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-03, 06:36 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I had the same problem when I double sheetrocked most of my upstairs...the solution is very simple...they sell "box extenders" which is really just a square piece of plastic. They are about 25 cents each...they fit right into the box and keep everything tight. Then buy some longer screws and you are in business. Or what some people do is take some 14 gauge wire, and circle it behind the screws for the outlet and it extends the screw hole. good luck

Old 03-04-03, 06:56 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You need to provide more information. Did you remove the receptacle cover only and then add another layer of sheetrock over the existing walls? If so, you need to expose the screws that hold the receptacle to the box and remove them. Try not to remove any more sheetrock than necesary (you will the want the receptacle ears to rest on the new sheetrock). After the screws are removed, remove the receptacle by pushing it down or up to expose the ears. You can now mount the receptacle back to the box using the same screws unless longer screws are needed (the screws are 6-32's). The proper method is to use a box extension but either way you may have to shim between the box and receptacle. You can use small washers, nuts that will slide over the screw threads, stak-ons, etc. That way your receptacle will not "float" and crack your plate when you try to plug something in.