Under cabinet lighting rough in

Old 03-08-03, 05:37 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Unhappy Under cabinet lighting rough in

I am contracting my first house, and I am planning on installing under cabinet lighting in the kitchen. My question is this: At what height do I set the rough electrical cable for the lighting? Does it come through the bottom back rail of the cabinet or into the back of the cabinet and down through the bottom?
I'm confused!
Thanks in advance!
Old 03-08-03, 06:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

I have always roughed it in right at the bottom of the upper cabinets.The upper cabinets are usually 18 inches above the countertop.
Old 03-09-03, 10:36 AM
pcboss's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,988
Received 201 Upvotes on 176 Posts
I always rough-in for the wire to come through the back rail of the cabinet under the bottom shelf. If you are too high the cabinet will cover the hole. You will need to coordinate this when you hang the cabinets so that the wire will feed through toe rail.
Old 03-09-03, 05:29 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
42 inches is a common height. Most coutertops are 30-32" in height. This gives you a pretty good amount of play on top and bottom cabinets.
Old 03-10-03, 06:13 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
This is what I found when I researched my kitchen remodel last year:

The height of the standard kitchen countertop is 36" from the floor.

18" is the standard distance from the countertop to the bottom of the wall cabinets.

This would place the bottom of the wall cabinets 54" off the floor.

The wall cabinet's bottom shelf is dadoed 1/2" above the bottom of the mounting plate/rear frame member.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: