New electrical box

Old 03-13-03, 06:12 AM
JCROYLE
Visiting Guest
New electrical box

Hi
I am getting ready to replace my breaker box. How do I turn of the main power coming into the house, or is this something I have to have the electric company do?

Old 03-13-03, 06:20 AM
lestrician
Visiting Guest
You must get the electric company to do it. I'm not sure about where you live, but in many if not most cities, they require a licensed electrician to do this type of change, and a permit.

Old 03-13-03, 06:33 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You will have to "pull" the meter. Is that something you feel confident about doing?

Old 03-13-03, 07:00 AM
T
Call the utility company and ask them if they allow you to pull the meter. Some do, and some don't. Most do, provided that after you're done you call them again and ask them to come and seal it. However, usually replacing the main panel also means replacing the feeders from the meter to the panel. Even if the panel is the same AMP rating, the old wired may be too short/too old to keep. That would involve working a few inches away from live power. Which is ok...as long as you don't touch it.. but it does take some courage and trust.

Old 03-13-03, 10:45 AM
S
Remember that if you are going to upgrade the service size the wire incoming to the meter will need to be changed too. This job could be considered a service upgrade instead of just a panel changeout.

Old 03-13-03, 02:23 PM
texsparky
Visiting Guest
Play it safe

The best and safest scenario is to contact the power co. and have them disconnect the power to your house and reattach it when you are finished.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: