20amp Breaker

Old 03-14-03, 04:54 PM
Allman Brother
Visiting Guest
20amp Breaker

I have a 20amp breaker on my panel that doesn't seem to be feeding the 3 outlets that it's wired to. I lost power to the three outlets then checked the breaker. It was still in the on position. I checked for voltage & was getting 118v. I also checked for voltage in the off postion & read 0.03 v. I turned it full off & back to on , but still nothing at the outlets . I disconnected the black wire , removed the breaker from the panel , switched it on & off 5 times , checked for continuity in the on position & got it. No continuity in the off position. Re-intalled the wire (making sure to make contact) & re-inserted the breaker. Still reading voltage at the breaker in the on position but still nothing at the outlets. Did I miss something ? What can I do next ?

Old 03-14-03, 05:04 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Most likely you have a tripped GFCI. Only after spending considerable time eliminating that possibility should you move on to look for the next most likely cause, a failed connection.

Two important questions: Where are these three outlets, and in what year was your house built?

Old 03-14-03, 05:21 PM
Allman Brother
Visiting Guest
What is a tripped GFCI and how do I check it ? In answer to your question , the three outlets are 15amp / 125v double pole. All have a grounding screw with nothing tied to it. The house was built in 1967.

Old 03-14-03, 05:25 PM
J
Where are the outlets?

Old 03-14-03, 05:29 PM
Allman Brother
Visiting Guest
In the kitchen. 1 for the fridge , 1 for a microwave.

Old 03-14-03, 05:36 PM
J
A home built in 1967 may or may not have a GFCI. A GFCI receptacle is a duplex receptacle with two buttons on it, between the two receptacles. Sometimes the buttons are labeled "T" and "R", and sometimes "TEST" and "RESET". These receptacles are most often in bathrooms, kitchens, basements, garages, and outdoors. Often they are located in strange places, and often far from other outlets that they affect. Sometimes they are out of sight behind cabinets or furniture, or even in closets. In a retrofit situation, they may even be in attics or crawl spaces. They may also be along any other wall in any other room of your house, or on the exterior of your house. They could even be on the garage ceiling. Push the "R" or "RESET" button on all of them you can find. You may have several, or you may have none.

Once you have spent a good hour looking everywhere, then you'll need to turn off the breaker and pull out each of the non-working receptacles and switches (and any working receptacles on the same circuit). Move all backstabbed connections to the adjacent screws and look for loose wire nuts.

$8 spent on a receptacle tester at Home Depot would be a good investment. This tester plugs into receptacles and has three lights on it, two amber and one red.

Old 03-15-03, 12:22 PM
Allman Brother
Visiting Guest
I found 1 GFCI and reset it but I found the problem behind one of the three receptacles. One of the hot legs insulation had cracked & grounded itself to the handy box (breaking the circuit). Thanks for your help John.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: