Electrical Permit

Old 03-21-03, 02:08 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Electrical Permit

Hi,

I'm applying for an Electrical Permit (Ontario, Canada) and had a few questions. First, will this affect anything else in my house (ie. Taxes) like it would if I got a Builders Permit. Do I need a Builders PErmit to get an Electrical PErmit? (Just adding an extra circuit with a few extra outlets in an unfinished basement.). Do Inspectors work (Do Inspections) on weekends?

Thanks

Old 03-21-03, 02:38 PM
G
If you get the permit only for the work you wish to do it will not effect anything else. Electrical inspectors in Ontario work for Ontario Hydro and typically do not work weekends, but they usually can set up something that will work for you. Ontario inspectors are on the average very good and don't mind answering questions from you as to what the requirements will be and what they will be looking for.
You don't need anything else to get an electrical permit in Ontario as long as this is for a single dwelling house where you own it and live in it. If it is a rental property and someone else rents it from you then you must have a certified Electrician pull the permit. Hope this helps you out.

Old 03-21-03, 05:06 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Here is the link to ontario hydro's inspection site. It is now called the Electrical Safety Authority. I'm not sure if you actually need a permit before you do the work but you do need an inspection after any new work. It works a different in Ontario than in USA.

http://www.esainspection.net/

Old 03-24-03, 06:10 AM
G
Ontario requires a permit to be pulled before the work commences

Old 03-24-03, 06:45 PM
slight change of topic, but related

A friend of mine needs a new electrical service, the current one has a fuse panel that is just too small/inadaquate and cannot be added onto. I did the calculations and determined a 150A minimum for the new (Will be a 200A). I am going to start collecting up material in the next couple months (air conditioning is the momentum for getting this done), in installments-money is tight on his behalf, thus the reason for limited work of a hired professional.
Note: I am well versed in electrical work, I have yet to decide whether I want to go to college or be in an apprenticeship first.

I have asked several people what order should I do this in, I plan to be the one installing the panel-however do not want to be involved in getting a permit. It is established that we will have an electrical contractor out to change the service drop, therefore they will have a permit.
Plan A is pull the meter and change the panel, then the the service will be done afterwards (how long afterwards....?), inspection & retag. At the minimum, I will need to swap the panels, and backfeed a 100A breaker, or install a 100A fused diconnect or seperate disconnect panel if the money runs short. (no service drop replacement)
Plan B is indefinite. This is for you to fill in.

gj

Old 03-25-03, 06:35 AM
G
Greenjacket in answer to your questions if I understood them right in most areas if you set everything up properly the service will only be down for a small number of hours the quickest I personally ever managed it was two hours (mainly waiting for the inspector to get there). This however can vary dependant on the area you live in and what little bylaws are being enforced.
The order to do things would depend on the situation you are facing. In most cases puling one panel and installing a new one wiring up everything inside the panel pulling the new feeds from the meter box and getting it inspected then having the power turned back on look at using up the better part of a day so start early.
Now the electrical contractor pulling the permit he might onlybe willing to get one for the work he is performing. He might not get one that would suit you. You had better check into that your friend as the homeowner may have to take care of this part.

I hope this answers you a little but it might be better to post this as a new topic and get more insight into it. This is because many may see this site as asking Canadian Code Questions and pass by the site, then you will limit the number of response you get, and frankly there are some smart people out there that might be able to help you better then I.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: