old mobile home electric box

Old 03-24-03, 04:59 PM
tdk
Visiting Guest
Unhappy old mobile home electric box

I'm hoping someone can help me, with what VERY little I know about electric. We went to replace the end bedroom ceiling light fixture controlled by a wall switch with a ceiling fan with light kit. Had done this before in kitchen and worked fine, but wiring is different in this room. There are 3 ground wires, 3 black wires and 3 white wires in the box. Can't get the combination right. Either the fan works and everything else on the circuit doesn't or vice versa. How can I figure out the combination without REALLY messing something up worse? The electric book I have and everything I can find on the net doesn't show anything like this.

Old 03-24-03, 07:04 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I think if you pull the switch out of he wall you will find that there is a black and white wire connected to it. That is a switch loop. Lets look at this in terms of cables. A black, a white and a ground are a cable. They sent power to the switch via the white and returned it in the black which should be hooked to the black in a fixture. The white that goes to the switch should be marked with black tape now as it becomes the feed and should be spliced to the 2 other blacks, one of which is a power wire and the other is a feed wire to another recept or fixture somewhere else. The 2 whites then splice with the white on the fixture. Now, you probably want to use the pull chain for fan control, so the power wire for that needs to connect with the 2 blacks and white and the black that comes back from the switch now will connect to the wire that powers the lights. This is probably blue or red maybe on the fan,, what are the fan colors wires?

Old 03-25-03, 04:58 PM
tdk
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks so much! Your instructions were VERY helpful! Fan is up and it, and all the other lights on the circuit (thank goodness), are now working again! (The other fan light wire was blue as you said.)

Once again, thanks so much for your help!

Teresa

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: