FLuorescent Light Tube

Old 03-29-03, 02:25 PM
rlrcstrs
Visiting Guest
FLuorescent Light Tube

My basement has a suspended ceiling and is lit with fluorescent ligth tubes. One has just gone out and needs to be replaced.

I know the ceiling tiles just pop out, but do the plastic covers over the lights just get removed the same way?

Also, is it simple to replace the fluorescent tube? It is about three feet long.

How will I know what wattage to buy?

Old 03-29-03, 04:30 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
4 ft is a common length for those tubes. There are probably a number of ways to get the lens off and you are just going to have to look. Rotate the lamp 90 degrees to get it out. On the metal on the end of it is an indicator that is perpendicular from the lamp pins that is an indicator to tell when it is installed right. With a litte careful observation you should be able to do this. If the tubes are black on the ends replace them all. Most of these fixtures that have 4 lamps have 2 ballasts, each one running 2 lamps. 2 inside ones and 2 outside ones. I tend to replace them in 2's often. When one lamp is bad it causes the other not to work also. There will be some writing on the lamp that tells what wattage it is. Be careful with them as its not good to have broken glass all over and there is stuff inside its best not to have spread around the house. If you have several of these fixtures you might consider buying a box of replacement lamps if you use them often. It makes it nice to get them in the box they come in and is great for storage, you can even put old ones back in box until you are ready to throw them away. I think that you can get 10 packs from HD or Lowes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: