Changing wiring in an outlet box

Old 03-30-03, 02:39 PM
vballdan
Visiting Guest
Changing wiring in an outlet box

I have an outlet with wiring similar to the description on the following page http://doityourself.com/electric/electconnectb.htm titled "Splitting a receptacle on a push terminal." How do I change the wiring to keep constant power to the outlet, in the middle of the run instalation, and have power going through the switch to a new wire that I placed going to a new light fixture?

This is what I tried:
In the outlet box: From the three cables coming into the box, I connected all of the black wires and pigtailed from there (extra 6" wire) to the outlet. I did the same with the white wires and the ground wires.
In the switch box: I changed the wiring to have normal single switch wiring (black into and out of the switch with the white and ground wires pigtailed separately). This new wire out of the switch box goes to the new light.

Result: The light works great with the switch, but now the outlet does not work. Maybe the power is just bypassing the outlet and going straight to the switch??? Thanks for any advise.

Old 03-30-03, 03:15 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It sounds like you have it wired right. Hmmm Was that outlet previously switched?

Old 03-30-03, 04:57 PM
vballdan
Visiting Guest
Yes,
The outlet was controlled by the switch. However, I want the outlet to have constant current (not controlled by the switch) and for the switch to only work for the new light.

Now, the switch only works for the light, and the outlet never works, no matter the position of the switch.

The funny thing is that when I was wiring the outlet, I tested it when the other end was unwired (not connected to the switch yet) and it worked. However, once I connected the switch and the new cable to the light, the outlet no longer worked.

Old 03-30-03, 06:07 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I was just thinking that you might have used the same outlet and only one side worked. Remember if it was switched one of the tabs were broken out, but part of it should work. Test the wires at the outlet with your tester just to be sure to eliminate a problem with the outlet itself.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: