Moving Fridge circuit

Old 04-03-03, 10:28 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Moving Fridge circuit

OK-redoing my kitchen and my fridge will be moving to the opposite wall of the kitchen. Presently the fridge and 1 outlet are wired on a 20 amp breaker. When I move the fridge to the other wall that has a 15 amp breaker, can I technically just swap the breakers as long as I only have 1 or 2 casual outlets working with that new fridge circuit? Does the original fridge circuit have a heavier wire by code? Does my wire then have to change?

Old 04-03-03, 01:20 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You can't just swap the breakers. If your 15A circuit has 14 gauge wire you need to have a 15A breaker. Since you're remodeling it shouldn't be too difficult to bring a dedicated line to that outlet.
If that outet is the only load on that 15A breaker you could just live it as is, a fridge won't use more that 15A.

Old 04-03-03, 03:48 PM
texsparky
Visiting Guest
Wire Size

If the wire size is # 12, then a 20 amp breaker may be used on the circuit to replace the 15 amp. I suspect the wire is probably # 14 ,but the only way to tell is by looking at it. On the other hand, if the circuit was originally for kitchen countertop receptacles it should have been installed with #12 on a 20 amp breaker. The fridge will operate fine on the 15 only if you don't use it for other heavy loads on it such as a microwave or electric skillet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: